LCDBC 2015 International Student Design Competition
“re-RURALize the Orio-Hibikino URBAN fringe”
Center of Low Carbon Design for Building and City, Faculty of Environmental Engineering, The University of Kitakyushu (Japan)
Contents of the competition
The Center of Low Carbon Design for Building and City is pleased to invite students from all Asian countries to take part in the fifth LCDBC 2015 International Student Design Competition “re-RURALize the Orio-Hibikino URBAN fringe”.
The competition addresses the problem of future developments of the Orio-Hibikino urban fringe area. The competition asks the students to re-ruralize this area and make a proposal for a low carbon urban project. The Orio-Hibikino Area should be considered as a real problematic area for the city of Kitakyushu.
Orio-Hibikino Area, Kitakyushu (Japan)
Multidisciplinary teams of Graduate (Master and PhD students) and Undergraduate students from Architecture, Landscape, Civil Engineering and related disciplines are accepted. Team and individual entries are accepted. Only one project may be submitted per person or per team.
You can choose the whole Orio-Hibikino Area or only a part, for example 2 or 3 sites within the Orio-Hibikino Area, as the site for your proposal of this competition.
All proposals should contain one or more of below features:
– overall sustainable concept
– green space design
– usage of renewable energy systems
– sustainable transport systems
– connection to the surrounding urban area
Prof. Bart Dewancker, The University of Kitakyushu (Japan)
– Arch. Zhu Wang, Prof. Zhejiang University (China)
– Prof. Yue Fan, Dalian University of Technology (China)
– Prof. Dian Zhou, Xian Jiaotong University (China)
– Arch. Mochamad Donny Koerniawan, Institut Teknologi Bandung (Indonesia)
– Prof. Yiyin Tsai, Chung Hua University (Taiwan)
– Prof. Pawinee Iamtrakul, Thammasat University (Thailand)
– Prof. Nguyen To Lang, Hanoi Architectural University (Vietnam)
– Prof. Hiroatsu Fukuda, The University of Kitakyushu (Japan)
– Competition announcement: 7 June 2015
– Registration starting date: 7 June 2015
– Registration deadline: 15 October 2015
– Inquiry deadline: 31 August 2015 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
– Deadline for written response to inquiries: 10 September 2015
– Closing date for proposal submissions: 31 October 2015
– Winners will be announced: 20 November 2015 (Students of the winning project teams are invited to participate into the International Workshop and Conference on re-RURALize the Orio-Hibikino URBAN fringe, held from 15 February until 1 March 2016 in Kitakyushu, Japan)
– Award Ceremony: End February 2016 at the International Workshop and Conference on re-RURALize the Orio-Hibikino URBAN fringe, held from 15 February until 1 March 2016 in Kitakyushu, Japan)
– Exhibition: All selected entries will be exhibited during the International Workshop and Conference on re-RURALize the Orio-Hibikino URBAN fringe, held from 15 February until 1 March 2016 in Kitakyushu, Japan)
– First Prize: 50,000 Yen and a certificate
– Second Prize: 30,000 Yen and a certificate
– Third Prize: 10,000 Yen and a certificate
– 7 Honorable Mentions: Certificate
For registration, send an e-mail to email@example.com, containing;
– names and gender of all participants of your team, individual entries are accepted as well
– name of university including name of faculty and/or department
– e-mail address of the team’s head student
After your registration, you will receive a registration number which must be integrated in all boards of your final submission.
No registration fees are required for the competition.
The official language of the competition is English.
– Digital form: 4 A2 panels (JPEG files) and a PDF file containing the project statement (A4, 2 pages) in English.
– The boards should contain project concept, diagrams, plans, sections, perspectives, and photographs, all in English.
– Entries must contain the registration digit in the lower right corner of the boards (18pt).
– No names of participants or affiliations are allowed on the boards.
– File name: the registration number followed by page number 01, 02, 03 and 04, and 05 for the project statement
– Size: maximum 10 Mb for 1 file
– Panel dimensions: horizontal (594mm x 420mm)